Marc Ching – Yulin’s reluctant Hero

Marc Ching is a broken man. He’s seen, heard, smelled and witnessed things no sentient being ever should. He’s seen live dogs skinned, boiled, hanged and have their legs cut off. He’s smelled the sickening odor of warm blood pouring from the suffering and heard the horrific cries that come from unimaginable pain. Worst, he’s witnessed the pure evil of truly sadistic humans and it has crushed his gentle soul. As he speaks of his travels to Asia documenting the horror of the dog meat trade he trembles, his voice cracks and stops and his eyes tear up. As I sat beside him listening I felt my heart break and an ocean of tears building up behind my closed eyes.

It all began 5 years ago when Marc, who was running his pet food shop, rescued a severely abused dog and wowed to heal him and find him a loving home. He continued to rescue abused dogs thru his ‘Animal Hope and Wellness Foundation’ and only last year learned of the nightmarish dog meat trade rampant in Asia and it’s most famous and gruesome poster-child: Yulin (China’s annual ‘dog meat festival’ where an estimated 10,000 dogs (many pets!) are brought in, tortured and slaughtered for food). He’s since made 7 trips to these countries and the most recent to Cambodia and finally Yulin. On his first trips he was able to rescue and bring back around 70 dogs but once in Yulin for the festival he decided to do something different. Frustrated that petitions with 11 million signatures (Europe, Australia and USA) and 8 million (China) failed to convince Chinese authorities to shut down this horror he pledged to shut down 12 slaughterhouses for the duration of the festival.

It wasn’t long after he set foot in this hellhole of a town that he was detained, beaten, threatened and then constantly followed by the police. Once he lost them by hopping in and out of taxis he was able to negotiate the closing of 6 slaughter houses. HE DID NOT BUY THE DOGS as some have reported and criticized him for. The world followed his dramatic daily videos online (some receiving over 400k views) with excitement, horror and admiration as he announced that he now had 1000 dogs that needed help. Some argued he should leave the dogs to their fate but they don’t know Marc, “When you’re in the field everything changes. You think with your heart. I’d never leave those dogs – it’s not in my nature and if people think that’s wrong that’s on them. I would have regretted it – I’d have so much guilt”. Fortunately the ‘Tree of Life’ organization and a horde of compassionate Chinese locals helped ferry the dogs to safe heavens outside the city. Marc now has 5 shelters running there and plans to get his 500 dogs adopted out to Europe, Australia and the US. He hopes that 15 will come to his shelter in LA.

Marc does not want to be the hero the world has labeled him as, “I’m just a normal guy, I’m weak, I make mistakes. All I do is for the animals. It’s not about money or fame for me, it’s about reclaiming my salvation, stop cruelty and give hope”. He lives only for the moment when the terrified dogs stop crying and somehow know they are being rescued. “They look at you and they’ve waited their whole life for this moment. Imagine if you’ve been locked in a dark cave and watched everyone around you die a horrible death you’d dream of the day this moment would come. In that moment I’m that person”.

Marc does believe things are changing in Asia and that a 3 pronged approach with the aid of the governments will end the torture (but maybe not the dog eating) in both China and Korea. The 3 main issues he focuses on are, 1) Teaching that abuse and torture is wrong, 2) Stealing pets is illegal and 3) Rabies is a real health concern for humans consuming dog meat. Marc is headed to Indonesia in a few weeks to meet with government officials to present his horrific documentary videos and plead for them to take action to stop it. He asks that we not close our eyes to this, “When you do you make it ok for it to continue. If I can live thru this and the dogs can suffer thru this you can look at it and acknowledge it’s going on. Stand up against it and it will become illegal”.

Marc will not return to Yulin. He’s seen enough. When he closes his eyes at night all he sees is blood. He needs time to repair his broken soul and thankfully he’s headed to a PTSD rehab facility shortly where they can help him do just that.

“Human beings can do so much. If everyone just did a little, hugged someone who was crying, gave a little the world would change. All it takes is a little”. I couldn’t have said it better myself but I will have to disagree with Marc on one point – you ARE a hero my friend.

Written by Ines Romero of Cecil’s Angels: cecilsangels.com

To help Marc: animalhopeandwellness.org

To help Soi Dog (Thailand): soidog.org

To help Nami Kim (South Korea): koreandogs.org and namikim.org

FullSizeRender-10
Jack is one of the lucky rescued meat dogs and currently up for adoption at Marc’s Animal Hope and Wellness Foundation in Los Angeles.

13533285_10206531074343850_5264183563875865404_n
Marc and I with a lucky meat trade dog at his pet food store in LA.
marcching2
A hero in action with 3 lucky puppies.
Marc-Ching-Yulin-Festival-Chiens-2
The true horror of the dog meat trade. Many are stolen pets with their collars still on.
CggCH49UUAE64ax
One of the slaughter houses Marc was able to shut down.

Post Author: cecilsangels

24 thoughts on “Marc Ching – Yulin’s reluctant Hero

• Carolyn gunning

(July 6, 2016 - 3:45 pm)

Good for you.

• Mark

(July 6, 2016 - 3:56 pm)

Dear Marc

God bless you May Buddah Bless you whatever Religion of your Faith many Blessings to you for Your Heroic Unsung Heroism saving poor innocent angel dogs and Puppy’s from the Horrific Evil People stealing the poor digs for the Ugly Horrifuc yullin Festival and mat god and Buddah bless the 1000s of poor dogs and puppy’s Thank you Admiringly mark Avery. Senior dog lover

• Joyce Shulman

(July 8, 2016 - 7:47 am)

I understand Marc’s reluctance for praise but if someone should be cloned, it should be him-

• Joyce Shulman

(July 8, 2016 - 8:09 am)

I’m just thinking that maybe what I said might be taken in the wrong way-I meant that we need more people like Marc!

• Melissa Renninger

(July 6, 2016 - 4:11 pm)

I wish I had the means to do what Marc has done. I do believe however that there is no way in that place of a living hell called China that I could walk away without seriously hurting or even killing some of those heartless bastards that torture and murder those precious innocent cats and dogs for their own selfish stupidity. I salute you Marc because you are a true hero tome and I’m sure millions of other humans and animals!!! Thank You for all that you’ve done for the innocents that can’t speak for themselves!!!

• 0320pinner

(July 6, 2016 - 7:37 pm)

Mark, you may not think you’re a hero, but YOU TRULY ARE!! I hope you have heard of this great man, his name, Martin Luther King, Jr. I remember one time he made one of his many profound statements in his too short life. It went something like this; “For a man to see an injustice and do nothing, is just as bad as the Injustice Itself”. Well, you did something about an injustice that was being done to these poor animals. In my book, that makes you a pretty great man too! God bless you Always.

• BJ

(July 6, 2016 - 10:14 pm)

Thank you Marc for all that you have done to help these precious animals…if more people would try to do what you have done, maybe this evil could be stopped. I hope and pray that it will be stopped soon. You have done such a wonderful thing for so many innocent ones. I pray that God will cleanse your mind of the horror that you’ve witnessed and give you strength to persevere in the fight, whether you ever return or not. Thank you again for the awesome courage that took you there and the difference you have made.

• Annie Burns

(July 7, 2016 - 3:56 am)

The animals Champion….Marc Ching. Marc is it possible for a dog rescued from Yulin to be sent to Australia to live ?

• Kay Reading

(July 7, 2016 - 4:55 am)

Annie, wouldn’t that be great? I do believe that if it is possible, it would cost at least $5,000.

• cecilsangels

(July 7, 2016 - 8:20 am)

Im pretty sure it is. He did mention Australia for some of the dogs.. you should check on his website (the animal hope and wellness foundation)..

• Carolyn Stefanacci

(July 7, 2016 - 5:11 am)

Thank God for people like you Marc. I pray daily that this will end. I wear my “Stop Yulin” bracelet all the time and try to inform everyone I know about this atrocity. Please continue to let us know your progress and anything else we can do to help.

• Marilyn

(July 7, 2016 - 7:32 am)

Mark Ching thank you for saving so many Dogs from that HELLISH place!! Thr are many different types of Heroes, and yes you are one!!!! What you did was courageous, selfless, lifethreatening,and you saved many innocent lives. Sounds like a Hero!!!! Please ,renew your spirit & soul ,keep fighting for the innocents. I wear my Stop Yulin shirts,have flyers on my car, talk to strangers about the horrors, will continue to donate & sign petitions and watch videos, I think the Dogs & Cats who can’t be rescued deserve at least that. PLEASE PLEASE KEEP US INFORMED

• Carla Mabanta

(July 7, 2016 - 2:29 pm)

Mark is a TRUE HERO!!! His compassion and heart full of wonder fullness for animals is amazing I applaud everything he does to make animals have a better life or to even have a life!!!!!

• Treyce Montoya's Blog

(July 7, 2016 - 3:57 pm)

Reblogged this on Treyce Montoya's Blog and commented:
    Support this man! Better yet – let’s CLONE him. The world needs more Marc Chings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Treyce Montoya's Blog

(July 7, 2016 - 3:59 pm)

We need to CLONE you dear Marc. The world needs more earth angels like you. God bless you for your work and THANK YOU to your family for sharing you with those innocent victims.

• julie ellis

(July 7, 2016 - 8:16 pm)

A billion thank you’s to you Marc. You are my hero…I love you for what you are doing.
    Julie

• Orit Arbel

(July 7, 2016 - 9:04 pm)

Beutifull person !
    Thank you for being so much human beings.
    Thank you for being the hope for the other future to those dogs that were saved.
    Thank you and your family.
    Wishing you all the best!!!

• ANN

(July 8, 2016 - 4:13 am)

MARC IS A TRUE MAN AND HERO! WE CALL PEOPLE HERO BUT MARC IS IN A CATEGORY OF HIS OWN. WE LOVE WE MARC! THE WORLD IS WATCHING NOW AND YOU BROUGHT IT TO LIFE. I PRAY WITH WHAT FILM HE GOT THAT THESE HORRIBLE DISGUSTING COUNTRIES GET EXPOSED! PEOPLE NEED TO BOYCOTT THESE COUNTRIES AND KILL THEIR ECONOMY UNTIL THEY STOP!

• Ruxi

(July 8, 2016 - 5:26 am)

No words to express my feelings. I was almost hating humanity after watching those horrible videos. You changed my views. Now I know there r good humans too. Keep doing this good job. You have no idea hw blessed you are with all those prayers that ur getting from animals & humans . Believe me I pray for ur health happiness &long life from the bottom of my heart.

• Beverly Wyatt

(July 8, 2016 - 5:34 pm)

Marc, I Thank You from the bottom of my heart for ALL you have done for these poor voiceless dogs. You have made such a significant difference.
    I can not imagine all the horror you witnessed and the abuse you endured trying to rescue all the dogs you could
    manage to save.
    I have so much admiration for you Mark, for your desire to rescue and save all the poor dogs you possibly could save, and for your ability to close down those horrific dog meat torture houses, and for all the love, care, and kindness you have given to each and every dog.
    I honestly can not imagine all that you have gone through but I do feel you certainly deserve any and all the treatment you need to help you get through all the unimaginable you have endured. I believe you are much much stronger than you give yourself credit for.
    I wish you the very best when you go to these countries and talk to them to discourage the horrific inhumane treatment of dogs. I pray that you are able to help these people understand how horribly wrong it is to torture these dogs.
    Please return and share with us what you have learned and have been told.
    Their are so many of us that truly care and are concerned about your plight as we share this with you.
    Again, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that you have done and are doing to save these precious dogs.
    In kindness, Beverly Wyatt

• Rita Tanzi-Stevenson

(July 22, 2016 - 3:56 pm)

Excellent interview ! WoW- Marc Ching is an incredible man- He is truly is a Hero- it takes a very determined, , courageous – strong man to have endured all he witness, heard and saw- Yes, he has made much lead way, but at such a cost- witnessing all that torture and barbarism by those people who take such delight inflicting torture pain and unbearable suffering to dogs , could drive a humane person to the edge of sanity – My heart goes out to Marc – I commend all his hard work – What a Man-

• Cindi mcneil

(July 24, 2016 - 1:15 pm)

An amazing guy with a heart of gold….