Non-human animals cannot communicate to us directly about their plight and the vital role they play in the ecosystem. For this reason, we must speak for them. With most African vultures on the brink of extinction, BirdLife International released this video as part of their campaign to save African Vultures. The narrator spells out vultures’ dire need for help and corrects misconceptions about them.
Points made in this video are summarized below:
- Vultures are misunderstood. They are the bringers of life, not the takers. They are the cleaners of your world.
- Vultures are the halters of disease – stopping the spread of anthrax, botulism, rabies and tuberculosis.
- Vultures are the sentinels of your skies – they point the way for rangers to find poachers.
- For centuries, vultures were revered for they are vital.
But now, vultures are persecuted. They are being poisoned, hunted and exploited.
- Vultures are disappearing because they are misunderstood.
Some vulture populations have declined by 98%.
- In 2015, BirdLife International declared four African vulture species to be on the edge of extinction.